Sunday, September 5, 2010

Proposal

I would like to explore capturing human personality through photography and combining it with the traditional media.  To be honest I am mostly interested in old photos, old fashioned ones that were done using the method of Photogravure, but I do not think we have the facilities at TAFE to do that.  I am also interested into etching the photos, something called Silver Etching process described here: http://www.appillinois.com/html/Article.php?x=5 however I do not know if i can do it...

So because of that I will have to revert to what I know and see what I can do.  I would like to combine etching on A4 format, with the photo and then use method of oilgraphs that Kevin Rolly uses to produce the series of capturing the essence of the person, what makes one unique, special, something that is dominant about them, their personality, to tell their story.  I want it to go beyond just a portrait, beyond just a face, to be something dominant and special, to capture ones soul.

Another photographer I admire is figure photographer Marcus Ranum.  I was contemplating combining that with my own style and methods described by Kevin Rolly, adjusted by my own experiments to capture the person.


Also lino cut is driving me nuts.  When ever i start working on it I get horrible migraine and cant work on it for too long.  There must be something in it that I am allergic to or is bothering me. I am not quite sure what yet.

2 comments:

  1. S...there are several photoshop simulated photoshop tutorials online that may help.
    The apporoach of Kevin Rolly is great.. perhaps think through the concept a bit more. What are you trying to capture and how does this relate to the old stle photography?

    Perhaps work on the small scale for short duration with lino. D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well what I want to do is combine old style photography because I like results of it, with digital manip and trad art methods... Why I like photogravure is get your hands dirty approach you can touch it, smell it, feel it between your fingers pretty much all that digital lacks, same reason I used to enjoy long time ago black and white film photography, that is you could handle film, you had to apply chemicals right, you handled photo paper, it was like unwrapping a present, you never knew exactly what you would get, you could manipulate light with your own hands while exposing paper, you could mess up chemicals by accident and come up with amazing results...

    I like etching because it lets me bring in line work (which I love more than anything) and fine detail that I love as well. While experimenting with etching and merging it with photo I liked the results, and would like to experiment more.

    Combining etching, photogravure, oilgraphs and traditional collage would let me feel in digital photography which I miss. I want to capture essence of the person with my work, their heart, soul and dreams, but at same time I want to have my hands dirty. Combining digital photography with traditional methods would let me have feel my hands dirty. To be honest I do not know what end result will be, point is in experimentation, because one keeps developing that way. I will take couple hundred photos of my subjects, look at them and say hey this will work and do it. Pre-planning in detail in advance saying well I want to do this and in this style, with this this and this I feel a bit limited, and tied up. When seeing the images one gets idea what to do to produce the final artwork. That is what I did with my portrait photography in last assignment, I took photos of my subject over period of few months, (there were some 10-20GB of them) and then I chose ones that represent subject the best and fit the assignment, then I went through photoshop and saw what would work what wouldnt to achieve final result.

    ReplyDelete